Serves 6 | Cooking Time 40 minutes
This cozy soup is infused with warming ginger and cinnamon. Orange juice adds an unexpected brightness, while cayenne kicks up the heat.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 fat shallots, or one onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons ginger, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 pound carrots, peeled, sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
- 8 ounces potatoes, rough chopped
- 1 apple, rough chopped
- 2 cups veggie or chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup orange juice (or juice form 2 oranges)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, more to taste
Heat oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot. Add shallots and sauté over medium-high heat until tender and golden, 3–4 minutes. Turn heat to medium and add ginger and garlic, and cook for 2 more minutes, until golden and fragrant. Add carrots, potatoes, apple, stock, and water.
Bring to a boil, then turn heat down to low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until carrots are fork tender.
Let this cool, then blend in batches in a blender until very smooth, and place back in the pot. Add coconut milk, orange juice, salt, honey, and spices, and stir to combine, while reheating over low heat.
Taste, adding more salt or cayenne if you like.